The hot, muggy weather is here which means your air conditioning units are going to be running at full speed in no time. Stay cool this summer and keep your utility bills down (and use less energy!) with these tips.
1. Use a programmable thermostat. If there are large stretches of time during the day that no one is home or if you’re trying to regulate the temperature in your home, a programmable thermostat is extremely beneficial! You’ll be able to increase the temperature in your home when no one is home so you don’t waste the cool temperatures and have it cooler when the entire family is home. This also helps avoid wasting energy from turning on and off the air conditioning system.
2. Hire a professional to maintain your cooling system. Replacing and cleaning your air filters can reduce the amount of energy your air conditioning system uses. By making annual maintenance appointments with a professional, you’ll be able to keep your system running efficiently and reduce any issues down the road.
3. Use your windows efficiently. If you live in an area that gets cool at night or if there are cooler temperatures on the horizon, take advantage of opening your windows at night to allow that cool air in and the warm air out.
4. Keep hot air from leaking into your home. Prevent hot air from leaking into your home by closing the blinds on extra hot days to stop the suns rays from getting into your home. Seal any cracks around the windows and at the base of your doors that lead to basements or attics as well!
5. Use a power strip. Plug in electronics into a power strip and turning it off when they’re not being used will allow you to reduce phantom leads.
6. Cook outside. The appliances in your home generate additional heat when they’re being used, making your home feel hotter during the hot summer months. When the weather is nice, opt to cook outside on the grill to reduce this heat.
To schedule your annual tune-up with MRW Mechanical, give us a call today at (781) 639-9222.